Author Topic: Older Threads  (Read 148 times)

Jedi Master Lebowski

• Noob
  • Abide, the Dude does.
Older Threads
« on: March 15, 2017, 07:47:59 AM »
I don't know if this idea has been suggested already; I wouldn't be surprised if it has. But I've seen so many great stories on this site be abandoned, and it seems like any time someone tries to bump the thread in the hopes that it will bring attention back to the story so that someone else can continue it the entire community loses their shit. Now I'm kind of new here, but as far as I can see this is because people find it annoying whenever they click on a thread expecting some new story or whatever, only to find that it's just one person asking if the author of an older story has any plans to continue it.

So here's my suggestion (and like I said, I wouldn't be surprised if other people have suggested this in the past): What if we created a new thread, labeled "Older Stories" or something similar, where people can resurrect previously dead stories without annoying other members of the community. Off the top of my head, I can think of several potential stories for this thread. What do you guys think?

awesomestpwner

• Been a sarcastic asshole since 1991
Re: Older Threads
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 11:47:58 AM »
As I said in the other topic, I don't really see any value in doing this. If you're just meaning to revive discussion about the story, there's really no reason to since anyone interested in seeing old stories can just browse the archive. If you mean so they can actually continue where the original writer left off, I find that idea kind of disrespectful to the original writer to continue their work without their permission. I mean, as a writer with a long list of stories I've left unfinished, generally the reason I did so is because I consider them old shames and embarrassments. I do *not* want to be reminded of them and I *certainly* don't want to see people continuing them without my permission.

I'm not the universal of course so there's probably people who do like seeing people talking about their old work or open to people continuing it, but I don't think its something that's really needed.
Well, this is the part when I add something smart or insightful or relating to my personality...
   ^
 ^ ^^
<     |
   |  |

Its a middle finger.

Jedi Master Lebowski

• Noob
  • Abide, the Dude does.
Re: Older Threads
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 02:03:50 PM »
Yeah, I see where your coming from. The notion that continuing an author's work might go against their wishes did cross my mind; still, I thought the idea was worth taking into consideration. In any case, keep up the great work!